ONE WEEKEND. TWO EVENTS.

3-4 JULY

5PM - 00AM

SATURDAY, JULY 3RD

HOSH

KANLI KULA

HERCEG NOVI, MONTENEGRO

5PM - 00AM

SUNDAY, JULY 4TH

MARK KNIGHT

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

HERCEG NOVI, MONTENEGRO

HERCEG LOGO.png
FEST LOGOOO.png
DJI_0757_edited_edited_edited.jpg

KANLI KULA

Kanli Tower is a monumental fortress in the Old Town, built-in 1539 by the Turks and located at the northernmost point of the Old Town.   Kanli Tower in translation means "bloody tower" and this notorious prison more than justified its name during the Turkish rule over Herceg Novi (1482-1687). The tower is first mentioned in written documents in 1664 in the travelogues of Evli lebelebi. It was built on the foundations of another fortress. In its current form, it is the work of Turkish builders and has preserved to this day the architectural originality of that period, but as other cultures gained control of the city, they all left their distinctive imprint on the tower, and so today we see traces of Venetian and Austro-Hungarian architecture. .The irony of this tower is that it was probably built on the foundations of some other structure that was humanitarian in nature because on it we find a sign that says "pro pace", which means peace.

DJI_0713.JPG

FORTE MARE FORTRESS

Forte Mare Fortress (translated as Sea Fortress) is located on the coast and guards the city entrance from the sea. It was one of the main fortifications of the city, which controlled the entrance to the city throughout its war-torn history. It represents the early formation of a medieval town founded by Tvrtko I Kotromanić in the 14th century (1382). The fortress was built between the 14th and 17th centuries, restored by the Venetians in the 17th century (also the time when it got its name to this day and the time when it lost its defensive fortress characteristics because it moved from Forte Mare to Spain ) and after them by the Austro-Hungarians (to whom we owe today's appearance). They made a series of improvements in the upper part maximizing the potential of the fortress to defend the sea entrance to the city. During their control of the city, the fortress was used as a center for military communication. Cement was first used in construction, and when it was learned about its waterproof characteristics, it was also used for facades in the old town and in 1952 it was adapted into a summer stage. The largest reconstruction was made by the Turks, when the fortress gained the dimensions that it has today and the unofficial name of the Strong Fortress.

Any questions?